Helpful terms

A person who obtains the Grant of Letters of Administration. This entitles them to deal with the estate if no will was made.

A person who inherits:

  • Under the terms of a will
  • By the rules of intestacy (if no will was made).

This is the Scottish equivalent to a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration.

Death Certificate
This is a certified copy of the entry in the death register. The registrar will provide you with as many copies as you ask for. You’ll just need to pay a fee.

This can help to save time if you need to register the death with lots of places at once.

The person named in a will. This who is deals with the estate and obtains a Grant of Probate.

Grant of Letters of Administration
This is used to appoint an Administrator who can then deal with the estate if no will was made.

Grant of Probate
A formal court document. It is issued by the Probate Service. It confirms the appointment of the Executor named in the will.


Grant of Representation
This is a term used to cover both the:

  • Grant of Probate and Letters of Administration
  • Confirmations (in Scotland).

Letters of Administration
A formal court document issued by the Probate Service to appoint an Administrator. This is often the next of kin to the deceased.

This is issued where:

  • There is no will
  • The Executor appointed in the will is unable or unwilling to act.
Personal Representative(s)
This is the term used for small estate claims when a statutory declaration or Small Estates Indemnity form is to be used.

Useful contacts

HM Revenue & Customs
Look in The Phone Book for your local ‘Tax Office’, or visit

Citizens Advice Bureau
Find your local office in The Phone Book, or visit

Cruse Bereavement Care
Call 0844 477 9400, or visit

General Register Office for England & Wales
Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Southport, Merseyside PR8 2HH
Tel: 0845 603 7788,

General Register Office for Scotland
Ladywell House, Ladywell Road, Edinburgh EH12 7TF
Tel: 0131 334 0380,

Probate and Inheritance Tax helpline
Call 0845 30 20 900 or visit

The Bereavement Register

Government advice on bereavement

If there's a savings account to close

Once we’ve seen the death certificate, you'll be asked to fill in one of the forms below to close the account.

For balances under £30,000 you'll need to complete this form.

For balances over £30,000 you'll need to complete this form and include a copy of the grant of representation.