How we can help if you're having difficulty paying your mortgage


Call us

If you're having trouble making your mortgage payments call us as soon as possible.  By discussing your circumstances with you, we may be able to offer help.

Here's an example of the types of information (PDF) that we're likely to ask for. 

Call us on
9am - 5pm: Mon to Fri
9am - 1pm: Sat
Choose the Mortgage option and you will be put through to an adviser.


What we will do

If you haven't already been in touch with us, we'll contact you as soon as possible to discuss your situation. We'll consider your circumstances and may be able to:

Arrange a new payment plan with you that suits both of us.
Change the way you make your payments, or the date you make them.
Allow you to pay your mortgage over a longer period of time(to reduce your monthly mortgage repayments).
Arrange for a field agent to visit you and discuss ways of managing your finances. The cost of the visits will be charged to your mortgage account.
We will provide you with full details on how these options work and give you time to consider any changes. If we can't offer you any of these options we will explain why. 
We will give you reasonable time to pay back the debt.
If you wish we will refer you to Money Advice Trust (MAT) with whom we work closely. They give free, independent debt advice to people across the UK through their telephone and online advice services – National Debtline & Business Debtline. They are experts in helping people in financial difficulty, providing realistic and affordable ways of solving debt problems.
We will only start proceedings to repossess your home if we are unable to solve the problem with you.
If we cannot offer any of these options we might agree to you remaining in the property to sell it yourself.


What you can do

  • Let us know straight away if you are having problems repaying your mortgage or think that you might experience problems in the near future.
  • Talk to Money Advice Trust (MAT), who will be able to offer you free, independent advice. They have helped many people to find realistic and affordable ways to solve their debt problems - this is why we have chosen to work with them. You can call MAT direct on freephone 0808 808 4000, or talk to them on webchat at . If self-employed then call them direct on freephone 0800 197 6026 or talk to them on webchat at .
  • Make sure you keep other people responsible for the mortgage (and anyone guaranteeing the mortgage) up to date with what's happening.
  • Keep to any payment plan we may agree with you or tell us as soon as possible if there is a change in your circumstances which may affect the arrangements. If you don't make the agreed repayments, we might have to go to court to get any money you owe us or to repossess your property.
  • Create a personal budget by making a list of what you earn, owe, and spend. You can download our household income and expenditure form (PDF) to help with this.
  • Keep us up to date with any changes to your circumstances, including if you move to a new address.
  •  Check whether you can get any state benefits or tax credits which could help to increase your income.
  •  If you have a mortgage payment insurance policy, check if it can help with your payments.
  •  If it is unlikely that your situation will improve in the future you may need to think about selling your home.

You may want to talk to a professional adviser, such as a field agent or a solicitor, before you change your mortgage arrangements. We would strongly advise that you seek independent debt advice.


Cost and charges

If you are in arrears, we may charge you for any administration or legal costs which we incur. You will be informed about all charges which we may make. These will be charged to your mortgage account. Details of these charges are found on our Tariff of Mortgage Charges.


If we can’t find a solution

What happens if we can't agree a solution

  •  We may send a field agent to see you and discuss your financial circumstances. The cost of the visits may be charged to your mortgage account.
  •  In some circumstances we may decide to go to court to start proceedings in order to repossess your home. We strongly recommend that if this occurs, you attend court and that you seek independent legal advice.
  •  Starting court proceedings does not necessarily mean that we will repossess your home. We will keep trying to solve the problem with you. Repossession is a last resort.
  •  If we are at the repossession stage, before this goes ahead, we will suggest that you get in touch with your local authority to see if they can find you somewhere else to live.

What happens if we repossess your home

  •  We will sell it for the best price we can reasonably get and we will attempt to sell it as quickly as possible.
  •  We’ll provide you with a reasonable time to remove your possessions from the home.
  •  Any money raised from selling your home will be used by us to pay your mortgage and any other loans or charges.
  •  Any money that is left over after this will be paid to you.

What happens if selling your home does not raise enough money to pay off your mortgage

  •  If there is still not enough money from the sale to repay the whole of your mortgage, you will still owe us the amount that is left (this is known as a shortfall debt). We will tell you how much this is as soon as possible.
  •  If you bought your home with other borrowers, each of you is responsible for all the money borrowed. This is true even if you normally only pay part of the mortgage.
  •  We will contact you within 6 years of selling the property (5 years in Scotland) to arrange for you to pay back what you still owe.
  •  We will take account of your income and outgoings when we arrange a payment plan for this shortfall debt with you. But if we cannot arrange a suitable plan, we may go to court to get our money back. You may have to pay additional court costs.
  •  If a shortfall debt is not paid, it could affect whether you are able to get credit in the future.

What happens if you hand your keys over to us

Please be aware that if you are thinking about handing your keys back to us, you will still be responsible for paying the mortgage until the property is sold. In the event that your house sells for less than you owe, this will mean that your mortgage won't be fully repaid and you will still owe us the amount that is left. Please discuss this option with us before taking such action.


Other issues & complaints

Some companies may offer you new loans or even invite you to sell your property to them and then lease it back as a way of resolving your short-term financial difficulty. Please be careful, as such actions may not be in your best interests in the long term. We would advise that you seek independent advice before entering into any arrangement of this type.

Making a complaint

If you have concerns about how we have dealt with your case please use our complaints procedure to make us aware of any problems. We'll do our best to address things quickly and fairly.

Our complaints procedure meets the requirements of both the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).