[x close]

The Bank of England announced on 2nd August 2018 that the current Bank base rate will increase from 0.50% to 0.75%.  What does this mean for you?

Help & Support

Following bereavement

The loss of a loved one is a particularly difficult time. We're here to offer help and support.

First steps

  1. Register the death.

    You’ll need to register the death at any local registry office (within 5 days in England and Wales and 8 days in Scotland). For Government advice on how to register a death and to locate your nearest registry office go to www.gov.uk/register-a-death. Once you’ve registered the death you will be given a death certificate. It's probably worth asking for a few copies as this could help you deal with some of the more practical matters quicker.

  2. Funeral Arrangements.

    It’s important to say goodbye and a Funeral Director should be able to guide you through all of your options for arranging a funeral. Citizens Advice recommends finding a Funeral Director through a professional association, such as the National Association of Funeral Directors.

    Worrying about paying for the funeral isn’t something we want you to be overly concerned with. If you need to access funds from the deceased’s account, we can cover some funeral expenses from the estate. Cheques will be issued directly to the funeral director or third party.

  3. The Will.

    You’ll need to find out whether or not there is a will. If you do not know, the deceased’s solicitor and bank are good places to start and there’s more advice here www.gov.uk/find-persons-will

Talk to us


If you’d like to notify us of a bereavement online we can help you get started and send you some guidance on what to do next. You’ll need to have details of the person who has passed away to hand, including their account information.

Call us

If you would like to talk with a member of our dedicated Bereavement Team, you can call us between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am until 1pm on Saturday.

01242 874 901

Write to us at the Address below:

Bereavement Team
Customer Service Centre
Yorkshire Building Society
Yorkshire House
Yorkshire Drive

back to top

What you will need to do.

We appreciate that you will want to settle financial affairs following bereavement with minimal hassle. Depending on the products held, we will require different documents and identification in order to perform the necessary administration. Please select the relevant options below to show the steps you'll need to take.

back to top

Some of the things you'll need to think about

  • Council tax offices
  • Pensions providers/life insurance companies
  • Credit cards/store cards
  • Any Direct Debits/Standing orders which may need cancelling
  • Insurance policies such as building, content, car, travel, medical etc. If the deceased was named first on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to ensure you’re still insured
  • Companies that the deceased may have had rental hire, purchase or loan agreements with
  • If the deceased lived in rented accommodation informing the local authority,housing association or private landlord
  • Re-directing any post through the Royal Mail
  • Registering unwanted post with the Bereavement Register, a free service removing the deceased from company mailing lists
  • Utility companies such as phone, water, gas, electricity etc.
  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  • TV/internet companies
  • Subscriptions to clubs/groups or magazines.

Information about the deceased you may need close to hand:

  • Date and place of birth
  • Address
  • Date of marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
  • National Insurance number
  • NHS number
  • Tax reference number
  • Child Benefit number

Frequently asked Questions

For definitions, please refer to ourBereavement Glossary of Terms

Will I need to talk to several different people?
Our Bereavement Team is your first point of contact and they are able to assist you with any questions you have. For some queries relating to mortgage payments or insurance they may put you in touch with a specialist in those areas, however the Bereavement Team will still be your dedicated support.
Is it going to take a long time to make the necessary arrangements for the finances?
As soon as you contact us we will get the process started however the exact timescales will vary depending on the circumstances. The Bereavement Team will keep you updated on the process.
Can I leave it and do all the paperwork in a few months’ time?
It’s really important that you contact the Bereavement Team and send the Death Certificate straight away so we can update our records and get the process started.
Can someone call on my behalf?
Someone can call on your behalf to obtain general advice on the next steps. We can however only give account specific information to the Personal Representative/Executor.
How do I pay for the funeral from the Estate?
Certain funeral expenses can be paid from the estate – please contact the Bereavement Team for further information. We’ll need original or certified copy receipts for the expenses.
Will interest still be earned on the savings account(s)?
Yes, interest will continue to be earned until the account is closed. This is in line with the account terms and conditions.
What happens if the funds are held in a fixed rate bond or notice account?
All withdrawals or account closures after the death of an account holder can be made without providing notice and with no loss of interest, regardless of the type of account. Our fixed rate bond products can be left open until they mature – just let the Bereavement Team know if you’d like to do this.
What happens on Trust accounts?
If the deceased was a trustee it may be necessary to appoint a new trustee to the account.
What happens if a Power of Attorney/Court of Protection Order was registered on the account?
If a Power of Attorney/Court of Protection Order has been registered on an account this is no longer valid on the death of the account holder. This means that the person who held the authority isn’t able to operate or access the deceased’s account(s) anymore.


Useful contacts

HM Revenue & Customs
Look in The Phone Book for your local ‘Tax Office’, or visit www.hmrc.gov.uk

Citizens Advice Bureau
Find your local office in The Phone Book, or visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Cruse Bereavement Care
Call 0844 477 9400, or visit www.cruse.org.uk

General Register Office for England & Wales
Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Southport, Merseyside PR8 2HH
Tel: 0845 603 7788, www.gro.gov.uk

General Register Office for Scotland
Ladywell House, Ladywell Road, Edinburgh EH12 7TF
Tel: 0131 334 0380, www.gro-scotland.gov.uk

Probate and Inheritance Tax helpline
Call 0845 30 20 900 or visit www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate

The Bereavement Register

Government advice on bereavement